Having a professional headshot is very important in our past-paced world of social media. We have become a very visual society; so first impressions go a long way. Whether you are building your online business network, developing important relationships or looking for a job; your headshot speaks volumes about you. You want your headshot to say only GOOD things.
Research shows that NOT having a headshot, often gets you overlooked immediately. We, as a society, want to SEE what we are getting and WHO we are hiring. The bottom line is, an employer would much rather see a face, than NO FACE at all. A nice quality professional headshot could get you selected (over someone else’s blurry or non existent headshot) for that dream job and improve your quality of life. It could happen.
So, what message is your head shot sending? What does your future employer, business partner, client, patient, etc. think about you?
- You don’t have a headshot? You are using the blank headed default picture and have not completed your profile. Finish the job and put yourself out there.
- Your current picture is blurry. You do not have enough good judgment to choose a clear, sharp picture to impress. Will you overlook the details when you do your job?
- You cropped your picture out of a group picture. You like to cut corners. You are not being thorough enough to get your own picture taken. How many corners will you cut at work?
- You are using an adorable picture of your dog or child. You are a parent, that’s great. You are not seeking a parenting job, nor are you looking to set up a play date for your child. You are a professional who wants respect from peers. The focus should be on you, not your beautiful children or your cute pets.
- Your picture is more than 5 years old. You are hanging on to the past. Stay focused. Having crow’s feet is a mark of wisdom and maturity that only laughing and sun damage can bring. Embrace your age; you still have a lot to offer the world.
- You have a tacky bright blue background. You have questionable taste. While this may not be a deterrent, professionally, first impressions are important.
- You took a selfie with your smartphone in your car or in front of a mirror. You are immature. Selfies are for teenagers. Think of how you want the public and your clients to think of you.
- You are wearing a tux or a bridesmaids dress because you are at a wedding. Separate your personal life from your professional life. The keyword here is “professional”.
- Your neighbor with the really nice camera took your picture and your kitchen cabinets are in the background. You are not willing to invest in yourself or your career, so why should someone else invest in you?
- Which brings us to the reason #10 why you need a new headshot. You are holding a margarita. I’m glad you had fun. You are not taking your professional life seriously enough and you may be an unreliable business partner, leader or employee.
The truth hurts, now go schedule your photo shoot for a new headshot. Your future will thank you. An experienced professional photographer will make you look your best. You would rather go to the dentist or get a colonoscopy? A good photographer will listen to your needs, make you feel comfortable and take pictures that are flattering of you. There are lots of lighting tricks and camera angles that we use to make you look your best. Professional photographers also know how to use Photoshop if you need a little extra boost. You want to keep it real so that you look like yourself, but polished.
Call a professional. Headshot prices are reasonable considering the benefits you get. It might be that one little thing that sways someone’s decision to choose you.
If you want to read more about why you should have a professional headshot, check out these other great articles: